I went to the Farmer's Market in Ojai this past Sunday. Ojai is a magical little town that begs the question "what possible profession could I pursue to be able to live here permanently?". I never heard a car horn or saw someone on a cell phone (seriously). Complete strangers smiled and held doors, women only wore flat shoes and no makeup.
It was glorious. There are spiritual practices of all sorts and everyone seems to be self-employed. Which confirms my belief that self-employment is in fact the ultimate of American dreams. What seemed unique about these particular businesses was that their core goal is to improve people's lives.
Healthy food and cooking, massage, private business consulting, wine tastings, interior design, galleries, theatres, public works, practical accounting, etc.
A few of my favorite bits:
- Earth Tonics - www.earthtonicsskincare.com -a natural skin care line, I tried the cocao based antioxidant masque which greatly helped my skin's clarity, works in 15 minutes and should be followed by a moisturizer
- Farmer and the Cook - www.farmerandcook.com - amazing coop farm and restaurant
- beautiful bunches of herbs for $1 that I'm using as arrrangements / cooking supplies
- Upcoming Wordfest - www.ojaiwordfest.wordpress.com - 100 literary events over the course of a week and a half
- wine tastings in the arcade
- open houses in Arbalado